Participating visual artists and poets:
Rick Barot, Patrick Bizarro, Robin Clarke, Mathew Conboy, Todd Davis, Wesley Dunning, Heather Green, BA Harrington, Chele Isaac, Chris McGinnis, Erika Osborne, Joshua Reiman, Gwyneth Scally and Meg Shevenock
Kipp Gallery – Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Oct 31 – Dec. 5 2014
University Gallery – Robert Morris University. January 1 – February 28 2015
SPACE Gallery – Pittsburgh Cultural District. November 1 2015 – February 1 2016
- Photographs from The People will be on view as part of a curated group show of Syracuse Alumni (2011) at The Dumbo Art Center in Brooklyn. NY from November 14th- 21th with the opening on Thursday November 17th in the evening. More info to come.
- I am now working at The School of the Museum of Fine arts in Boston, MA.
- I am excited to be in Louisiana for the summer working on a new project.
- This Fall I will be in a group show curated by graduate students from the CCS Bard program in November at the Dumbo Art Center in Brooklyn, more info to come.....
- Check out this blurb about the SU MFA show and my piece Vulgar Display of Power,
- Vulgar Display of Power, will be on view at the SU Art Galleries as part of the group MFA show at Syracuse University from April 7th through May 15th. The opening will take place on Thursday April 7th from 5-7pm. Hope to see you there!
For more information please go to : suart.syr.edu/
- Great News:
Printed Matter, INC. in New York City, is now selling my latest book, A Brief Inquiry ! Big Thanks to the Printed Matter folks!
Check them out online at-
or at 195 Tenth Avenue New York, NY 10011 Tel. 212 925 0325
-Happy New Year!
Check out Colin Dabkowski's review of my work in the Beyond/In Western New York show from The Buffalo News, 12/31/2010. Thanks Colin!
- On November 5, 2010 I will be giving a lecture at 6pm in Buffalo, NY at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. Hope to see you there! For more info please go to- www.mandtfirstfridays.org/programs_events_Artist_Joshua_Reiman.html
- The opening for the show at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery will be from 4-8pm on Sunday September 26th. Hope to see you there!
- September 24th- 26th, 2010 in Buffalo, NY there will be the most amazing art event of this year. Hope to see you at, Beyond/ In Western NY 2010-
This international contemporary art exhibition—the product of a unique curatorial collaboration between twelve of Western New York’s museums and galleries—will showcase the work of over 100 extraordinary artists from the region and beyond. Works in an expansive range of media, all connected under a common theme, Alternating Currents, will be on display beginning with the Beyond | In WNY Opening Weekend September 24–26, and extending through the end of 2010. Installations by featured international artists will also become permanent parts of the region’s landscape, serving as lasting impressions of the biennial.
The opening for the show I am in will be at The Albright-Knox Art Gallery on Sunday September 26th in the afternoon. Hours TBA.
Please refer to www.beyondinwny.org/ for information about the show.
- I am super excited!
My latest book, A Brief Inquiry, will be available in late September. It will be a limited printing of 250. This hardcover book is 6"x8", 56 pages with 23 images.
With essay by:
Holly E. Hughes, Associate Curator, The Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY
ISBN # 978-0-615-3862-2
You can preorder the book from this site by emailing me. $30+ shipping.
- I have donated another piece to the 12th annual auction and curated show at the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts in Omaha Nebraska this fall. October 8th- November 6th, 2010. Please come out and support this amazing organization!
- On November 5th from 6-7pm I will be giving an artists talk at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY. I will also be signing my new book at that time. Thanks!
- A photograph from my 2007 series "As History Happens" will be on view in the show "Of Memory, Bone, and Myth" at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, North Dakota. The show was Juried by Elijah Gowin www.elijahgowin.com/. The show will be up throughout April with the reception taking place on April 22nd.
- A limited edition book of "A Brief Inquiry" will be available in September at the Albright-Knox Gallery www.albrightknox.org/ in Buffalo, NY. The book will be in edition of 250.
-I am very excited to announce that I will be showing at the Albright-Knox Gallery in Buffalo New York in the fall of 2010. Beyond / In Western New York opens September 26th, 2010. The theme is "Alternating Currents"
More info to come in the coming months!
- G. Washington and Michael Jackson Pollock books are now available in softcover only via my Blurb site or by contacting me via email. Thanks, and hope you like the softcover version, I do.
-My film, The People, is now done! In the coming months, I will be screening this very exciting work. The piece will be available in a limited edition film and photographic folio. Many thanks goes out to Thomas Kontz, Keeril Makan, and Nathaniel Sullivan, for their contributions to this project.
-I am now back from Iceland, where I shot my new film, and I will be editing it over the next year. I hope to have it done by the new year. Thank you SIM for a great residency and home base in Iceland.
-Seljavegur 32, Reykjavik- Iceland
on Saturday the 27th. There will be a an Opening by the June residents of SIM. The opening will be from 7 to 10 pm.
Eszter Burghardt from Canada
Juliette de la Mer from Ireland
Auréle Ferrier from Swiss
Guðrún Auðunsdóttir from Iceland
Helga and Holger Schmidhuber from Germany
Rita Canarezza & Pier Paolo Coro from San Marino
Katrina Moorhead from Northern Ireland
Joshua Reiman from the USA
- I will be in Iceland at Association of Icelandic Visual Artists (SÍM) residency program in Korpúlfsstaðir outside of Reykjavík for the month of June, where I will be making a new film.
- I was awarded the Dorthea Shaffer Award from Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts! Thank you so very much.
Curated by Jacob & Justin Gibbens
May 7 - 30, 2009
Opening Reception: First Thursday, May 7, 2009, 5 - 8 pm
Dawn Cerny - Seattle, WA
Boo Davis - Seattle, WA
Garek Druss - Seattle, WA
Jeremy Dyer - Brooklyn, NY
Louis C. Fir - The Depths of Hell
Michael Krueger - Lawrence, KS
Jason Lahr - South Bend, IN
Erich Neitzke - Murphysboro, IL
David Poolman - Toronto, Ont.
Matt Pulford - Davenport, IA
Josh Reiman - Syracuse, NY
Herr Schobel - Berlin, Germany
Steve Seeley - Chicago, Il
Justin Taylor - Lehi, UT
This May, PUNCH presents its most brutal show to date. Raise your fists and shout at the devil, as brothers Justin and Jacob Gibbens have amassed a visual onslaught of righteous work by artists who reverently and joyfully tip their hats and bang their heads to an often marginalized and misunderstood subculture: the culture of Heavy Metal. Culled from around the globe, these artists utilize the iconic and bountiful visual language of all genres of heavy rock music in wondrous and oh so clever ways. Prepare to have your ass kicked and your spandex split, because we're turning the knob to eleven on this one.
Jacob and Justin, spawn of two loving and nurturing parents (Lois and Merle Gibbens), were reared in a healthy, supportive environment, grew up as typical honor roll kids, and can both more or less function normally and productively in society. Yet, since their youth, they’ve been self-described metal heads. Jacob’s all-time favorite band is AC/DC. If Justin were honest, he’d tell you that Metallica is his, fully realizing the shame and regret that holding this opinion elicits.
FOR PRESS INFORMATION
Contact: Justin Gibbens
Telephone: (509) 964-2443 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: Noon-5 pm, Thurs - Sat, or by appointment: email@example.com
PUNCH, 119 Prefontaine Place South, Seattle, WA 98104
www.punchgallery.org, (206) 621-1945
- From May 7-30, 2009 I will be in a group show at Punch Gallery called- Grätüitöüs Umläüt. It is a show about heavy metal, and it should be awesome. Check it out if you are in Seattle this spring. Their website is punchgallery.org
- Happy New Year!
- Very exciting news, I will be working on a project at Skulpturen Park Berlin_Zentrum, Germany from March 4- 16th with artist Lewis Colburn. Our project is titled, "The Other Side Of The World/ DIe Andere Seite der Welt" More news to follow about this project in the coming months. To check out Lewis's work, check out- www.lewiscolburn.net and for more info on Skulpturen Park, www.skulpturenpark.org
- I am in a group show at the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts in Omaha, NE. October 3, 2008 - November 22, 2008.
- The film "Inventing History" by Kristen Smoragiewicz, Music by Greg Davis, about my 2007 project "As History Happens" is done. The first screening of the film will take place in Burlington, VT on September 5, 2008. Place - Pine Street Studios during the Art Hop.
- Well the books are here and available! I am super excited to be able to offer these wonderful editions on G. Washington, with essay by Stefan Osdene; and Michael Jackson Pollock, with essay by Ruth Erickson. Please refer to the "Books" page on this website to order your copies.
-My show, HEROES, is up for your veiwing pleasure at the Meyers Gallery on the campus of The University of Cincinnati, Ohio -through August 1st, 2008.
-The film "Inventing History" by Kristen Smoragiewicz, Music by Greg Davis, about my 2007 project "As History Happens" is basically done. The first screening of the film will take place in Burlington, VT on September 5-8, 2008. Place and time TBA.
This film will also be available on DVD soon through this website.
-I am very pleased to announce that I will be having a solo exhibition of my work at the University of Cincinnati that opens on June 26th 2008. Thanks to Matt Lynch and Evan Commander.
-SPIRO RESIDENT ARTIST TALK
CO-SPONSERED BY THE KIMBALL ARTS CENTER
Please join us Weds. May 21st from 5:00-6 pm. for an Artist Talk at the Kimball Arts Center’s Main Gallery, celebrating sculptor/photographer Joshua Reiman from Ithaca, NY. The presentation will begin at 5:30 pm. with discussion to follow. For more information visit www.spiroarts.org or please call 435.649.6258
Spiro Arts is a non profit Artist-in-Residence and workshop center which supports artists, students and community members by providing a supportive environment that encourages risk-taking and innovation in the arts and ideas essential to human progress.
- I have just finished the first stage of my new project, while working at the Ucross Foundation in northeastern Wyoming. This project includes a film, a series of photographs, audio recordings, and drawings. My deepest thanks go out to Mekko Tohdihkoontz- Thomas Kontz, for working with me on this, and for our wonderful converstions.
- Next stop, Spiro Arts, in Park City, Utah!
- Big News! I was accepted into the Masters of Fine Arts program at Syracuse University in the Sculpture department! I am really honored.
- I am currently working on a new project that deals with Native American stereotypes. This should prove to be a very interesting film and photographic series. Stay tuned........?
- I will be speaking at the University of Cincinnati in the first week of April as well as visiting St. Louis and Kansas City, MO. Then to the Ucross Foundation in Wyoming for the rest of April!
- Great News, My wife Addy, was accepted to the Landscape Architecture Program at Cornell University for a dual degree with City and Regional Planning. I am so proud and excited for her!
- I will be putting out two books later this year with introductory essays by Stefan Osdene from the University of Wisconsin, and Ruth Erickson from the University of Pennsylvania. This is a very cool project and I thank them for their contributions.
- I am pleased to announce the forthcoming documentary by Kristen Smoragiewicz of Burlington, VT, about my 2007 project, As History Happens. It should be ready later this year. This project will be a half an hour film with music composed by Vermont musician, Greg Davis. More info to come! Thanks Kristen.
- I was accepted to the Spiro Arts Residency in Park City, Utah. I will be heading west to Wyoming for the month of April and then to Utah for the month of May.
- Great News! I will be an artist in residence at The Ucross Foundation in Clearmont, Wyoming from April 7- May 2, 2008!
- I will be exhibiting some of my work and teaching a few workshops at the Pingry School in Martinsville, NJ. The show will be in the gallery at the Hostetter Arts Center from November 9- December 19, 2007. There will be a reception on Friday November 9th from 2:15- 3:15pm.
- I just finished my residency at "The Barn" In Westford, VT, run by the Seven Below Arts Initiative. What an amazing place. Thanks to Anna Schachte, Carlos Ferguson, and Lars Erik Fisk for a great 2 months.
I was able to do a lot of new work in one of my favorite places in the world, Vermont. Thanks also to Burlington City Arts and Trey Anastasio.